Thursday 20 April 2017

Conflict Arises: In Which Scruffy Finds Himself in Bootcamp and Melon Thinks the Universe Knows More Than It Tells

Why do things never turn out like we expect?

I had Scruffy and Charlie booked in to stay with me for a couple of weeks around Easter. They last had a very smooth stay in January, so we assumed it would be pretty routine.

Left, a cream mini labradoodle stands on the grass. Right, a tricolour wire fox terrier stands on the pavers of the backyard.
Charlie (L) and Scruffy (R)

This was not to be. Just before their owner went away, I was told that I would be left with only Scruffy, as a trainer had advised that the dogs sleep separately. I was puzzled, but confirmed the boarding.

I've mentioned the issues between these two dogs before, and my hopes for some professional intervention. Due to personal reasons, I had made the decision last year to give their owner some referrals rather than take the job myself.

Then, less than a week before Scruffy and Charlie were to be dropped off, the dogs were at a different groomer from usual. While there, Scruffy attacked Charlie and left him with puncture wounds. The vet who treated Charlie referred their owner to a professional dog trainer.

Here's the cool part. The professional trainer, through a stroke of luck, turned out to be one of my teachers from technical college. So while I was thrilled to have Scruffy and Charlie in such good hands, he seemed pleased to hear that I was the dog-sitter who would be watching Scruffy while their human is away.

So while Charlie is resting up at home with a family member, I've got this dude with me.

Scruffy is scruffy looking with fur standing in all directions, one ear up and one ear down. His tongue is out in a relaxed expression, lead dangling out of frame.
Scruffy doing a Sit-Stay at the shops


As instructed by my teacher, Scruffy and I are working on basic obedience, crate training and treating some mild separation anxiety. He whines when left alone, presumably because he's never been truly alone before -- he and Charlie were always kept together.


A post shared by Melon (@melondious) on


It's not 'my job' to train Scruffy, but I am taking this opportunity to learn from my mentor. I'd also like to help out this owner, as long as she is dedicated to putting in the work to keep Scruffy. (If he is not safe around Charlie after this training, I believe Scruffy will be re-homed.)

Fingers crossed for good results!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....a tough situation. Hopefully the owner is on board. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi acdMom, luckily their lovely owner is very much on board and we are helping her as best we can to hopefully keep Charlie AND Scruffy safe in their forver home. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing such a great job! So amazing when a sitter goes above and beyond, and really tries to help the pups during the time they are together.

    I just had a grooming session in which Dahlia escaped from upstairs and attacked the client dog, so its good to read an account of dogs whose owner and trainer are more on top of things than I am! :) All is fine, I just feel like the worst person ever. It will pass. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them!