Wednesday 20 April 2016

Ava Stories: The Fearless Girl and the Big Scary Object

Friends, Ava's going home... I can hardly believe it.

It's been lovely, and fun, and incredibly exhausting. I've learnt a lot and been stressed out of sheer tiredness. So I'm ambivalent about her going home. (Bear in mind I'm probably back for house visits as early as tomorrow!) I know I'll miss her as soon as she's gone though. So I think it's time to share some Ava stories.

* * *


The first thing you need to know about this little dog is that she's fearless. I don't know how much of it is puppy and how much is just her, but so far she has not shown a trace of fear when faced with strangers, dogs, trucks, thunder, yelling... in fact, new things all pique her curiosity and I'm usually making sure she stays out of trouble!

Our first ever dog park trip went excellently. We were just going to sniff nearby but even walking by the perimeter fence Ava behaved just like we were on any other walk through the neighbourhood, perfectly happy and curious. So we went in and interacted with a number of calm dogs, the biggest of which was a Viszla, and Ava sniffed, and greeted, and followed, and chased... and was her usual self, surrounded by things she's never encountered in such intensity.

At 15 weeks old, Ava joins forces with two new friends: Cocker Spaniels
Cherry and Max... to mob the photographer

But this story isn't about that.

This story is about the Big Scary Object.

* * *

One day Ava was napping on the backyard porch. The door to the yard was closed so I decided to take the opportunity to clean the carpet in the next room after an incident I won't detail involving a pen door which may or may not have been latched and a silly human who may or may not have left it unlatched. I hauled the vacuum cleaner out of the cupboard, which had not been taken out since Ava had arrived.

You think you know where this is going -- but do you?

I walked past carrying it when the barking began. Ava got up, ran to the glass door and bashed her paws on the glass, barking. Barking from this 16 week old Cavalier has been a rare occurrence. (Remember, I hadn't gotten it out since she had arrived. This doesn't just mean I won't win housekeeper of the year -- it also means Ava should have no idea what it does.) Surprised, I put down the vaccuum and opened the door. This is what happened.


2 comments:

  1. LOL That's an awesome video! Brilliant editing and soundtrack. You should do more of those--hysterical :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit - we all thought it was hysterical at the time, too!

      Thanks Kirsten - the previous one "Ava Meets Penne" was quite popular as well, so I think I will have to make some more!

      Delete

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them!